Apart from the numerous siding materials and colors in the market, there is also a wide selection of siding patterns that you can choose from. This abundance of options gives you an opportunity to be creative in designing your home’s exterior, so you should take your time and carefully consider various siding profiles.
In this post, siding and roof replacement expert Lexington Blue™ discusses some of the most popular siding profiles to help you choose the pattern best suited to your home.
Horizontal patterns are the most commonly used for residential homes, and they can also offer highly effective protection against precipitation.
- Traditional Lap – It features siding boards that are partially layered on top of each other, creating a water barrier that enables precipitation to roll over the surface of one piece of siding and down the surface of the lower sections of the siding.
- Dutch Lap – It is similar to traditional lap siding, only it features a groove cut out of the top of each horizontal board. It also provides more textural contrast across the facade.
- Beaded – It features a “bead” at the bottom of each horizontal board, creating a more textured surface.
Vertical patterns are less common, but they can be the ideal choice for certain styles of homes. They can also be used to accentuate eaves across your home’s exterior.
- Panel Siding – It is basically like traditional lap siding but vertically oriented. The panels are placed one on top of the other, with their surfaces flush.
- Board and Batten – It features vertical boards that are placed with battens, which cover cracks and create a waterproof surface that can efficiently shed water.
Shake patterns are often used as accents across home exteriors. Shake siding was first made of wood shakes, but nowadays other siding materials are being used to imitate the appearance of wood.
- Square – Shakes are cut into squares and layered row upon row. Square shakes still look traditional, but they can add a but more character and visual interest to your home’s exterior.
- Fish Scale – These shakes are designed to look like the scales of a fish. They have rounded lower edges, and they can add more texture to your home’s facade.
Lexington Blue™ is one of the area’s top siding and roofing contractors. With our expertise and experience in home improvement, we also offer other services including gutter installation and insurance claims assistance. Call us at (859) 368-6346 or fill out our contact form to request a free estimate. We serve customers in Lexington, KY, and the surrounding areas.